Focus: Geoeconomics & International Security
The Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) is a research and analysis institute established in 2013 and based in Berlin. MERICS conducts independent, practical and policy-oriented research on China. MERICS provides the public with insight into China through up-to-date research and communication. It informs decision-makers in politics, business and society and acts as a key contact for the media. MERICS is an initiative of Stiftung Mercator, a major private European foundation.
In the context of China’s foreign policy ambitions under President Xi, this research program analyses key aspects of China’s global trade, foreign and security policy. It pays particular attention to domestic developments that shape China’s foreign relations.
MERICS is looking for internationally outstanding scholars and experts:
- With exceptional expertise in geoeconomics or international security
- Preferably for short-term fellowships (between two and three months), long-term fellowships (between four and twelve months) are available in special cases.
- Flexible: applications may be submitted at any time
- Notification: approximately four weeks after submitting application
What to expect:
- Close cooperation with a professional research team
- Support from a research adviser
- Contribution to scientific publications
- Involvement in events and workshops, both internal and external
- An outstanding research location and a high-class global research network
- Lively scientific exchange in an international environment
- Individual full-service support before and during the entire stay in Germany
If you have exceptional expertise in policy-making in China based on years of research and/or professional experience, and if you are willing to share and deepen it in cooperation with MERICS, we welcome you to apply. You will contribute actively to the independent research of one of the largest international research institutes on contemporary China.
Please send your application documents (#1: letter of motivation (2-3 pages) referring explicitly to the MERICS research program you wish to work with; #2: Curriculum Vitae; #3: list of publications or list of equivalent analytical qualifications based on professional experience) to Marie Hoffmann: email@example.com.