The Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) was founded in 2013 based on an initiative by Stiftung Mercator. MERICS pursues practice-oriented China research focusing on contemporary issues and is one of the largest institutes of its kind in the world. The institute investigates important topics and fields of activity relevant to relations with China, disseminates its research findings among the general public, and makes its expertise on China available to decision-makers in the political and business fields and society at large. MERICS has its headquarters in Berlin.
The institute is currently seeking a new Director and hopes to fill the position as soon as possible.
We are looking for a person who will represent the institute in public and in the media and who will assume responsibility for the coordination and administration of all research activities undertaken by MERICS. Along with the relevant professional and personal skills, the institute’s Director requires a comprehensive understanding of how to work with civil society and endowments, and a keen interest in think-tank development and innovation.
- Extensive research and leadership experience in leading research institutions focusing on contemporary China
- Extensive practical knowledge of and a strong commitment to research into the significance of China in the twenty-first century
- Publications in internationally prestigious journals
- Proven success in the acquisition of third-party funding
- A high level of entrepreneurial and leadership ability
- Strong organizational ability and capacity for conceptual and strategic thinking
- An ability to deal with crises and conflict, strong judgement and decision-making skills
- Resilient network across political institutions in Germany and the EU, civil society, the media and the private sector
- Strong communication skills and powers of persuasion in a range of environments and contexts
- Excellent knowledge of Chinese, long period spent in China an advantage
- German as native language an advantage
- Coordination and administration of MERICS research programme
- Ongoing institutional development of MERICS
- Representation of the institute in public and the media
The position offers scope for strong responsible leadership and creative development. Please send a comprehensive application including your CV, credentials, salary requirements and the earliest date at which you could take up the position per email to: Marc Bermann, Head of China Program, Stiftung Mercator. Email: email@example.com.
Application deadline: 23 February 2018.