Call for Applications: MERICS European China Talent Program 2023
September 12 - 15, 2023, Berlin
The Mercator Institute for China Studies (MERICS) is pleased to invite applications for the 2023 edition of the European China Talent Program (ECTP).
MERICS is dedicated to the mission of “Getting China right”. In this spirit, the ECTP will again gather a selected group of approximately 15 European early career scholars and professionals in Berlin to discuss some of the most important developments in China and their implications for Europe.
Participants will have in-depth exchanges with senior researchers and decision makers representing political, business and civil society groups. Besides having a clear China-related research and/or work record, applicants should be eager to deepen their understanding of China and its global impact, with the aim to explore fresh ideas for European China policy and to become part of a unique network of European China experts.
Selected candidates will benefit from exchanges with a highly diverse group of participants from various China-related career paths. In addition, they will be able to gain insights into the work of MERICS, the largest European research institute on contemporary China.
Throughout the program, participants are expected to work in teams to develop and present concrete proposals aiming to advance European China policy.
The 2023 edition of the ECTP will take place between September 12 - 15, 2023, at MERICS in Berlin.
Applicants need to meet the following requirements:
- Young professional or recent Master’s or PhD graduate, or an advanced postgraduate student with a strong China background (Sinology/Chinese studies is not a requirement; China-related experience from any field is welcome)
- Strong interest in contemporary Chinese politics, business or technology as well as European policymaking
- European citizen (EU member states, EU accession countries, EFTA countries or UK)
- Excellent command of the English language; good Chinese language skills are an asset
- Strong motivation to prepare and participate ahead of the program.
To apply please provide a single document in PDF format consisting of:
- A CV highlighting candidates’ China-related experience – strictly up to two pages in length;
- A filled-out form that can be found here.
Candidates should also indicate their nationality, place of residence and institutional affiliation. Candidates without an institutional affiliation are also welcome to apply. No other documents or references should be included.
The cost of the program is covered by MERICS. Sending institutions (if applicable) are asked to cover travel and accommodation costs. Where this is not possible, successful applicants can receive a travel, accommodation and meal allowance.