MERICS Internship Program
MERICS is looking for committed and flexible team players to contribute as full-time interns (40 hours per week) to its research programs. The round of applications for internships starting in January 2021 will be open from October 15 to 31, 2020.
Our interns apply and expand the skills acquired during their studies in a dynamic working environment, contributing to independent policy-oriented research on China.
Internships at MERICS have a duration of three months and are offered at four different times throughout the year, starting either in January, April, July or October. Interns receive a small remuneration.
MERICS offers the opportunity for interns:
- to contribute to independent policy-oriented research on China
- to be part of a dynamic and highly dedicated team
- to apply and expand the skills you have acquired during your studies, by conducting research based on English and Chinese primary sources, performing data analysis and writing short reports, as well as assisting in preparing events and presentations
- studies in Political Science, Sociology, Economics, or Area Studies with a relevant focus on Asia and/or China
- good knowledge of the political and economic system of the People’s Republic of China
- a very good command of written and spoken English and good Chinese language skills (for research program Public Policy and Society: very good knowledge, ability to read fluently and summarize source content concerning a wide range of topics); working knowledge of German would be a bonus
- attention to detail and high degree of reliability
- proficient with Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
How to apply:
Please decide first which of the Economy, Foreign Relations or Public Policy & Society programs you would like to apply to, then send us a cover letter and a CV to Thomas des Garets Geddes (thomas.dg.geddes(at)merics.de).
These documents need to be submitted to us in English and placed in a single PDF file. Please do not send us anything other than your CV and a cover letter. All other documents will not be considered. The subject of your email should include the keywords “MERICS internship” followed by your name. So for example: MERICS internship – James Legge.
Before you apply, please make sure that you are legally allowed to work in Germany. MERICS will not be able to sponsor or assist with any visa or work permit applications.
Please note that applications received outside of our application window (see above) will not be processed and will not receive a response.
Interns are required to be in Berlin throughout their internship and are expected to work at our office on a weekly basis. MERICS abides by the health and safety regulations put in place by Germany’s federal government and the city-state of Berlin. For more information on this, please visit their respective websites.