MERICS is looking for committed and flexible team players to contribute as full-time interns (40 hours per week) to its research programs. The round of applications for internships starting in April 2022 is open from January 15 to 31, 2022.
Our interns apply and expand the skills acquired during their studies in a dynamic working environment, contributing to independent policy-oriented research on China.
Internships at MERICS have a duration of three months and are offered at four different times throughout the year, starting either in January, April, July or October. Interns receive a small remuneration.
MERICS offers the opportunity for interns:
- to contribute to independent policy-oriented research on China
- to be part of a dynamic and highly dedicated team
- to apply and expand the skills you have acquired during your studies, by conducting research based on English and Chinese primary sources, performing data analysis and writing short reports, as well as assisting in preparing events and presentations
- studies in Political Science, Sociology, Economics, or Area Studies with a relevant focus on Asia and/or China
- good knowledge of the political and economic system of the People’s Republic of China
- a very good command of written and spoken English and good Chinese language skills (for research program Public Policy and Society: very good knowledge, ability to read fluently and summarize source content concerning a wide range of topics); working knowledge of German would be a bonus
- attention to detail and high degree of reliability
- proficient with Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
MERICS does not offer remote internships. All interns are required to live and work in Berlin for the duration of their internship with us.
How to apply:
Please decide first which of the Economy, Foreign Relations or Public Policy & Society programs you wish to apply to. Here are some of the topics that might be covered:
- Economy: China's economic development; industrial policy; trade; FDI/ODI; monetary policy; financial markets
- Foreign Relations: China's foreign policy; security and defence policies; EU-China relations; BRI; Digital and Health Silk Roads
- Public Policy & Society: China's domestic politics; environmental policy; human rights; Chinese media; social credit system; Hong Kong (The position for the April-June 2022 internship has already been filled for this program. The next round of applications will begin on April 1, 2022.)
We do not expect you to have in-depth knowledge of each of these topics but recommend that you apply to the programme that best fits in with your academic background, interests and past experiences. A lot of overlap exists between each of these programs and you are likely to interact with analysts from all three teams during your time at MERICS.
Please then send your cover letter and a CV to Thomas des Garets Geddes (tggeddes.associate(at)merics.de).
These documents need to be submitted to us in English and placed in a single PDF file. Please make sure not to send us anything other than your CV and a cover letter. The subject of your email should include the keywords “MERICS internship” followed by your name. For example: MERICS internship – James Legge.
Before you apply, please make sure that you are already legally allowed to work in Germany. MERICS will unfortunately not be able to sponsor or assist with any visa or work permit applications. If you are offered a place, you will then be required to be registered as a resident in Germany, obtain a German social security number, a German tax ID and provide proof of membership to a German statutory health insurance. Please also note that applications received outside of our application window (see above) will not be processed.
Priority will be given to candidates who will be enrolled as students during the entirety of their internship with us.
MERICS abides by the health and safety regulations put in place by Germany’s federal government (in German) and the city-state of Berlin. For more information on this, please visit their respective websites.